Tuesday 21 April 2015

A grandparent goes to war


When we looked through Summer's Great-Grandfather's book today we noticed there was a list of the clothing he was issued...right down to how many pairs of drawers (a new piece of vocabulary for many students).
Click on this link to look at this interactive soldier and dress him in his gear.

We also used the interactive information reports about Gallipoli from the Stuff website to help us understand what happened. Check it out here and discuss it with your children.  
Today we used the image from this link that has the soldiers with bayonet's (another new piece of vocabulary for many) charging forward, to write a description from our senses or of what was happening. Here is a piece from Asha:

SOLDIERS ATTENTION! I heard Colonel shouting commands to us but I was too busy thinking ‘will I die? will they shoot me?’.
I had butterflies flying around in my stomach. We started... Colonel shouted more stuff but I went for it.
The mud went through my shoes and was sloshing around. I thought maybe if I shoot at one of the opponents I might feel a little less scared. So I shot but it completely missed and the bullet kept going and going till I heard a poof... and that is when I knew where the bullet landed. I wondered will I ever get back to my kids??

No comments:

Post a Comment