Tuesday 9 June 2015

A Series of Unfortunate Events

We have been reading this book as a whole class. It's a classic. Today we read a part that said:

"It is very useful, when one is young, to learn the difference between "literally" and "figuratively." If something happens literally, it actually happens; if something happen figuratively, it feels like it's happening. If you are literally jumping for joy, for instance, it means you are leaping in the air because you are very happy. If you are figuratively jumping for joy, it means you are so happy that you could jump for joy, but are saving your energy for other matters." (A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket)

We tried to come up with some examples of our own. Can you think of any examples of things happening literally or figuratively?

2 comments:

  1. Tricky .... When I fell off the cliff I was literally flying through the air. When I found out I had won 1 million dollars I felt I was flying - just imagining how it would change my life !! How is that ??? Is that what you meant ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, examples for the children, Literally: When it snowed a couple of weeks back I was shaking with cold. Figuratively: "Today I was shaking like a leaf". Best wishes everyone :-)

    ReplyDelete